Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Start of a New 365


...beginnings are the starts of endings and endings are the starts of all things. I am breaking down in order to build myself up - rock bottom is a good place as any to search for a beginning...

I have decided to start a project this year. Something that I want to see through - it's been done before so I know it's achievable. I have this list of books. They are some of the greatest literary works of the 20th century. I know a statement like that can be very subjective. In fact, it is. But as I have yet to come up with my own list, I shall follow the advice of those that are deemed experts in the field of literary. It's going to be tough. Some of these books are really long and the language (though English) need full focus and  concentration. I would like to be able to finish one book in a week but I would also like to be realistic. But, if I give myself leeway like that, I'm afraid that I might lose track and end up procrastinating. So this is what I'll do. I have a few books that I have by my bedside that I am currently trying to get through. What I'll do is to slip in some of these great literary works in between the ones that I'm reading. I will give myself 1 week (2 weeks tops) to complete a book. At which point I will write up a summary of the book - a sort of like a critique if I may say so (really, I hope I can say so...).

This should help me get away from work. Yes, I am at the verge of hating my job. It's not classy I must say for me to admit that. But I am being honest. It has finally caught up to me - my disdain towards the factual
rigidity of numbers and figures. Some might call me stupid. Yes, in fact I am calling myself that as well. Because I have end up falling into the crevice of those lemmings and in that path, I am beginning to lose my soul. I do not want that. I can literally feel myself disappearing and it is not a very fun notion. But because I can't just quit on a whim (actually it is not impossible per say but, oh well, we'll see...), I have decided to wean myself off of work. At the very least I can start enjoying these books as I've always wanted but had always made up excuses of how I do not have any time (yeah boo on Skye...)...

By my side at the moment is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. I have but a few chapters left before I finish it. Once done, it will be my first feature critique on my blog (one which I don't know if anyone reads). It might not be intellectual and deep as how a professional book critic might write but that's not the point. It will be an opinion of an individual and she is just one that loves the written words - whomever it may come from...

PS : I know it has already been 2 months into the new year. I had been busy chasing after my soul...
PS2 : I have trouble spelling dissappearing disappearing....

No comments:

Post a Comment